A shark has bitten off a German tourist’s right arm as she snorkelled just yards from a beach in Hawaii.
The woman in her 20s is said to be in a critical condition at Maui Medical Center, with an additional severe bite to her foot.
She was attacked around 50 yards (metres) offshore at Palauea Beach, also known as White Rock in Makena, on Wednesday afternoon.
“We heard screaming from the water and it was this unbelievable scream like I’ve never heard before,” local resident told said.
“The only time anybody would scream like that is if they are being attacked by a shark,” she added.
Other swimmers waded out with a kayak and managed to bring the woman back to shore.
County officials closed a two-mile stretch of shoreline while Maui Fire Department scoured the area by helicopter looking for the shark.
The beach remained closed to the public on Thursday morning, as officials assessed if it was safe for people to go back into the water.
The shark attack is the fourth in Maui and seventh in Hawaii this year. Two attacks were reported on the same day in February in Maui, while the third came in late July.
Check Out More Related Posts
- Obamas Welcome New Puppy To White House
- New Species Of Mammal Identified
- Man Shoots Wife And Puts Picture On Facebook
- Toddler Killed By Family’s Pet
- Woman Hacked To Death In Bangladesh
- Boston Bomber pleads Not gulty
- Bulls injure 5 people at festival
- Malaysian Airline’s black box reportedly found from Ill fated Flight MH370
- 17 year old Nigerian ‘thug’ with a 5.0 GPA & has been accepted into 3 Ivy League schools
- Read President Jonathan’s Message to Nigerians On Becoming Africa’s Biggest Economy